Cost per Square Foot of Commercial Construction by Region
We get this question all the time: How much does it cost to build a commercial building? There is no quick answer and without more information about the project and its location, is essentially akin to asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. However, there is some guidance provided we know where you are located and what kind of building you are looking to build. Local economy is a very important factor in construction cost as well as the type of construction you intend to build.
We subscribe to RSMeans', researchers of construction cost data nationwide, and have come across some important current data on the cost of commercial construction for four different commercial project types as a function of their location. Note, that not all types of construction cost the same per square foot, and even more importantly, the cost of construction per square foot varies significantly with location.
Below are four different types of commercial construction and the varying cost per square foot to expect for each in different regions. All graph images are courtesy of RSMeans Construction Cost Data. Data source: Reed Construction Data – RSMeans/Charts: Reed Construction Data – CanaData
- Construction Types V-A and V-B in the International Building Code
- How Much Does it Cost to Build a Home?
- Residential or Commercial
- C-1 Commercial Property For Sale in Clear Creek County
- Construction Materials Prices Likely to Begin Rising by Mid Year 2009
- Setting Trusses at the Diamond Office and Retail Building in Evergreen Colorado
- Commercial Stair Design – Guidelines, Criteria and Dimensions
150 Responses »
- Cost Per Square Foot of Educational Facilities by Region | Architecture, Engineering & Planning EVstudio | Denver & Evergreen Architect | Colorado & Central Texas | Blog
- Construction Cost per Square Foot of Community Centers in Major US Cities | Architecture, Engineering & Planning EVstudio | Denver & Evergreen Architect | Colorado & Central Texas | Blog
- The Dark Side of Mankato’s Downtown Revitalization | Nathaniel M Hood
- The Dangerous Game of Subsidy « Thoughts on the Urban Environment
Leave a Response